Saturday 26 March 2016

We All Scream for Ice Cream...Cake

There is always a first time for everything, and most of the time you never know what you are capable of until you try it. Albeit, I'd rather try something new with someone I trust and not someone I'd never met before, so when my friend asked if I made ice cream cakes, and I said I never had before, I felt confident to try it out (and she trusted me enough to do it). I searched You Tube and armed myself with a plan.

My friend's son was having a birthday and an ice cream cake was his wish. The other wish was simply put: "chocolate". And chocolate it was! Chocolate ice cream, with chocolate cake, covered in chocolate buttercream... think there's enough chocolate?

The trickiest thing I found with an ice cream cake was the timing. Firstly, you had to be sure that you made it far enough in advance because it had to solidify in the freezer for a minimum of three hours depending on the size of your cake. Secondly, once you started working on the cake you had to be quick and get it back into the freezer before you ended up with a nicely decorated bowl of chocolate soup, as I was telling my friend. Luckily for me, timing was on my side and I didn't hand my friend a sprinkle-filled bowl of chocolate soup.

The cling film made the cake easy to take out of the cake pan. Otherwise I would have had to melt it slightly to slide it out (potentially resulting in the aforementioned chocolate soup).
 
My friend told me that Camron is into gaming, so I tried to incorporate that into the decorations. Much Googling, and double checking of details was required because although I don't know the first thing about different controllers (one's white?!), there was a young man who would have been looking at this cake and checking the details so I had to try my best to get the details as accurate as you can with chocolate and a tooth-pick.
 
Green was the colour of choice for the birthday boy, good choice Camron :)
 
Simply green sprinkles up the sides, which stuck to the freshly spread buttercream.
 
First time using these plastic cake domes....love it!! I like how you could see the cake through the plastic which isn't the case with the cardboard boxes. I may have to use these more and not just for ice cream cakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment