Saturday 28 February 2015

The Cake Materialised out of Nowhere!

Confession time: I love Doctor Who. I grew up watching it, being scared by the bubble-wrapped beasts chasing the Doctor and his assistants through far-off planets. Our parents would tape episodes of Doctor Who when it played on channel 57 and I thought that if I was talking when it recorded then it would also record my voice and I would be in trouble. It's low-budget monsters and recurring bad-guys were a familiar gathering as the Doctor and assistants saved planets and civilisations from ruin in wonderful retro fashion. Those who haven't seen Doctor Who wont be as excited by this blog post, so I suggest you take a few hours and do some Googling.

The title of Biggest Who-Fan in our family definitely goes to my sister. She will name you the episode, tell you which Doctor it was (there were several because he regenerated.... Google it), who the assistants were, the villain, the setting, where else they had used the set (low-budget, remember), and who produced the episode. You get the idea. So when it comes to making treats for my sister there isn't really much thinking required, and when you give someone a chocolate Dalek for Christmas, you know they'll love a TARDIS for their Birthday.

This cake was somewhat inspired by my lazy Susan, because the cake needed to be fully appreciated while it turned. Growing up, my Parents had coffee mugs that displayed a TARDIS on the side which was blue while the mug was cold. Pour hot liquid in the mug and the TARDIS faded to white, and therefore "dematerialised". (Perfectly normal childhood). What I hoped to create here for my sister was a dematerialising TARDIS on her cake. Luckily, she got it.

The little chocolate TARDISs (TARDII??)

 Top view of the fading TARDII
 
 
Now, imagine the cake is turning....
...step one.... 
...step two... 
...step three... 
...step four...

...see the effect?? The TARDIS even flies away too!
(I'll admit it, I had fun with this one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment