Sunday 25 January 2015

Any Excuse to Try Something New

Whenever we have guests over for dinner, I always like to have something nice to serve for dessert. (One day I'll completely mess with their minds and not have a dessert!) Sometimes I'm really organised and I'll do a chilled dessert and make it the day before, or if we're celebrating something I'll make a nice big cake. Other times, I'm not so organised so I have to improvise and think outside the box a little. Most often the reason for this is that I have no time to make something, or that I either I don't have any butter in the house (I know, it can happen), or it's still in the freezer (and I can't be bothered to, or don't have time to thaw it out). When this occurs I usually defer to my Anna Olson Back to Baking cook book, where she has several recipes that are either gluten free, egg free, dairy free, etc.. to solve all my disorganised problems.

These were some egg-free/dairy-free chocolate cupcakes that I made because my butter was still in the freezer... luckily I had the icing in the fridge so these weren't totally dairy free, but luckily no one actually has an allergy. I love having these recipes in the old tool box because you never know when someone will say "have you ever made a cake without using (insert ingredient here)? My niece/nephew/sister/etc. can't eat that..." I love being able to say with confidence, "of course, no problem!" Friends make the best guinea pigs, don't they??



No comments:

Post a Comment