Sunday 14 June 2015

A Sweet Thank-You

When I was small, I attended Sunday School every week. My Mum was one of the teachers, and truth be told I mostly clung to her, but I do remember that we had particularly kind, patient and lovely Sunday School teachers, some of whom are still very active in the Sunday School. This Summer, however one of our steadfast teachers, Mary-Ann did decide to step down. Mary-Ann was one of the teachers I remember from when I was little, so you can imagine that she now deserves a well earned break.

When one of the other Sunday School teachers asked if I would do a cake for Mary-Ann, I tried to think of how I could give her a part of the church she has given so much of her time and energy to. One detail that always jumps out for me, is the stained glass in the windows, so I did my best to give Mary-Ann one of the windows.


Working with a photo I had taken that was the size of a postage stamp! Nonetheless, I think it turned out quite well.


Mary-Ann is using her time now to focus on another mission close to her heart, Messy Church which is a new gathering in our church. Every fourth Wednesday, Mary-Ann and our other dedicated Messy Church leaders, organise crafts, food, and a talk to the children. These "services" are specifically catered for families whose schedules aren't regular and fitting in the Sunday service isn't possible.
The first time our church held a Messy Church Service we anticipated 30 or so people... we received over 60 people.
So although Mary-Ann isn't directly working in the Sunday School, her efforts will be felt elsewhere. These pops were made to celebrate her new chapter, and are made using part of the Messy Church logo. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment